Tuesday, March 15, 2016

You can't choose your family - Caning stories from Artist in Seine



In January, hot and bothered from a bad will, I sent Artist in Seine a no longer needed household object.  Divesting myself of something was a way to wipe the person and his parsimonious family from my consciousness as well as my house. I sent my object all wrapped in plastic, as is my style , and you can see more about it here on Artist in Seine's blog: http://iuoma-network.ning.com/profiles/blogs/rebecca-guyver-used-trivet?xg_source=activity

Artist in Seine has his own customary style of using ornate and apt bookcovers as a postcard.  This postcard weighs a lot.  It turns out canes are heavy, cane handles are heavy too! And how he managed to afix them to the book cover and for them to make it over the Channel in tact, I can't explain. 

The waves of the front cover are exquisite and the way the canes echo them makes this a special and aesthetic piece of conceptual art!  I like that. But what I really like about Dean's reply is the stories we have shared and the way we are communicating visually, and haptically about unreasonableness in a mail art sort of way!

Read Dean's poem!


The only other thing I will say about canes is that I had never heard of caning until I went to Kenya as a Peace Corps volunteer and was expected to use the cane to control my class.  Needless to say I didn't and I didn't report anyone to be caned for some of the spurious caneable offences. socks down, unpressed shirt, disagreeing with a superior. Since moving to the UK I have heard stories of people my age WHO WERE CANED, so even if you think Dean's story might be a little far-fetched.  It can be like that... and I agree with Dean; the canes are better off glued to a book cover, especially when they make it look so pretty!



The wooden object that I posted to Dean

No comments:

Post a Comment