Tuesday, September 15, 2020

Enraged and with voice

Joel makes mail art with a message. He collaborates with a number of other artists and is fastidious about crediting them.  He is a thoughtful, enthusiastic correspondent. He is generous in nature and unwilling to stay silent in the face of injustice or 'bad politics'. 

I have said before that Joel cajoles and juxtaposes humor with his message. This is evident from receipt of Joel's envelope. ' The social responsibility of the artist is to survive and nibble away at societu's thick hide with love and sharp teeth. - Harley'. show the heroes: Harriet Tubman, sitting Bull… paddle through the rising sea levels hold women in high esteem, covid skeletons with no sense of what we are living through- Hope and doom, side by side.



In England we aren't singing.  They think singing spreads Covid 19. But if you were really keen, you could laminate Joel's song and put it in the shower to sing there.  It is a bit of a sad sing, though.  But it is a sad time. 

My nephew is heading back to Eugene Oregon in a few days and this aunt is worried for him. We lived through the 'haze' in Singapore from the burning forests in Kalimantan.  It is awful and there were no protests, no police shootings, no pandemic. 

The first time I heard this was on The Last Word (Lawrence O'Donnell) then I read it in the New York Times. It is the sort of writing we all need to read again and again. And then, do some thing to address it.
YUM!


√√ √ I agree.

I loved the tone of the enraged mail artist.  Her conviction is apparent and she is never strident.  Although, strident would be fine. It is shocking when a correspondent isn't empathic. The majority of my correspondents have been thoughtful and empathic, fortunately. When I have receieved mail art that feels inappropriate I have kept it and filed it but I have not enjoyed it. I have edited out pieces that miss the target audience in a mail art exhibition. I appreciate Joel's 'need' to halt the practice of sharing imagery that is not thoughtful, empathic and appropriate and may go to my file and return it to the sender. 

No comments:

Post a Comment