Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Beneficiary of an NBS splurge purge

Whoop whoop.  I have had this gorgeous NBS envelope in my letter clam next to my computer for about a week! I apologise for the state of the 'G' in my name… our daughter suggested that I put blue tac over my camera so I did.  Then my computer got stuck together when I closed it and once I remembered why, I removed the blue tac and placed it by my computer.  Next, somehow, Nancy's envelope adhered to the blue tac and that BEAUTIFUL 'G' came away when it peeled it off.  Honestly, who wants to watch a 57 year old mail artist any way? 

Make sure you look at those stamps closely! It's a mini 2-scrap! or maybe the envelope is a three-scrap when you take into consideration the sideways-cropped-plural-stamp too. Also, love that strap line, 'don't get even get odd.' If you ever look at my other non-mail art blog https://virtualdrawinggroup.blogspot.co.uk you would see that I had a disappointing day today and my response was to draw, but I'm sure what Nancy says applies too!

I am always arrested by a NBS sandwich of work. The colour green with some asemic painting peeking out is so enticing.  On the other side of the green is a message from Nancy.  She tells me she is splurging or purging and it sounds like she's enjoying what she's making. 

Nancy's mixture of colour and text is unique and arresting. She makes a piece of wax paper look regal and unkempt all at the same time.
Consent, Nancy Bell Scott, 2018
This altered book page collage is 16 x 10 cm.  It is thicker than you think with a fat belly of stacked paper, topped by Macbeth.  The words 'servant' as well as 'ourt ?, o-night, attend his leisure, had, all's spent,' appear seamlessly with a stave and other recogniseable marks and letters.  Asemics frame this and create an NBS composition that reminds me of a door. I love it!

And as if that weren't enough, there are other treasures to unwrap: three three-scrappers that take my breath away.  (see if you can match fronts and backs.  I've mixed tham up a little…)





And finally, below are three 'ink minimals' - dancing across the page! the page makes interesting reading too and that title TYPEE, (a peep at Polynesian Life) is something a lover of language savours and repeats and must not be incidental. 




What a WONDERFUL mailing.  Thank you so much, Nancy!

No comments:

Post a Comment