Friday, April 30, 2021

Hairstyles and Dandelions in Manderley



As a Rebecca, I bask in the characters who share my name.  When I was a kid I was Rebecca of Sunnybrook (farm). Herman has found an iconic Rebecca in this mailing. I don't really look good in brown but I love the style of turn of century Rebecca. As for hats, I LOVE them.
This collage of shapes is also a collage of words, poetry. Read the first line of Rebecca aloud…. it sounds even more magical in french! And Herman summons a corner of Matisse's studio and his big scissors in the way he assembles his shapes.  

As is customary, Herman places an envelope within an envelope, nesting his imagery.  When Herman layesr character over character he develops his stories. This Rebecca was once a child. She has watched children, delighting in them delighting in nature.  Iconic Rebecca gets some nuance, we are all more similar than you might think.

Herman's collages are also a mixture of what is 'real' and what we expect.  The Herman adds a patina of experience.  The sculptures become more unique but also deeper and more universal with the addition of scraps of patterned paper.
Perhaps i am reading something into this, but do you get the feeling that Herman's ink drawing feels trapped, perhaps in a Covid lockdown?








I don't often include notes, but Herman's handwriting is so beautiful I can't resist.  I also enjoy the marks of colour, not to mention the very kind words! 

As ever, Herman's mail art is always a little more beautiful than it translates in scanning. Each collage portaits fells great to hold and i am lost in the texture and pattern.  Thank you, Herman.



 



No comments:

Post a Comment