Sunday, October 10, 2021

American Values: Kabul Moment



Cascadia credits AFP/Getty with this image. IMHO It's important to see images taken of America outside of America to understand the context of what has happened, how we are viewed and what values we reflect to the wider world. Patrick read me something he read on Facebook this morning. Before I attend to a post, I always want to know the context, to go beyond the headline.  Once I had done that I was able to place what seemed offensive into a context I could evaluate. I'm reading a book by Ben Rhodes about what it is to be American out of America.  As I learned when I stepped off the plane into Kenya as a Peace Corps Volunteer, it is nuanced and complicated. Thank you Cascadia for more thinking and for the unpleasant reminder of how we sometimes get things wrong. What a mess.

No comments:

Post a Comment