Sunday, November 17, 2019

Heavenly wonders of Herman Kamphuis

It's a trip around the world of antiquities, history, news from times gone by from Herman this time.  I read the visuals and see social commentary through the stories, the juxtaposition and all together I delight in the beaut and meaning. I see the wonders through Herman's eyes. 

Profiles. I love them! One has to wonder if this beauty's 'Daemon' is a bird...


If you don't know Arvo Part, you can listen here: 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z76I0gwKmu0 
My studio radio station (BBC 3) plays his music fairly regularly and when they do I have to stop and listen.  How did Herman know? Look at the way Herman uses paper here!  It helps me to see this woman as a feline creature, a beauty.
And here, the cut paper feels like a kaleidoscope, taking me back in time. One has to think about the stories this young man knows now… did he serve in the war and whose grand father is he now?


Herman tells me:  'it's all about memory and told stories…' 

 As ever, I love the gorgeous expressive faces from Herman… I can feel some new stamps coming on!

This envelope feels a bit like a bandage, stitched together to hold Herman's time capsule… We find the contents of Voyageur, an American Flag, some people from the past and objects we recognise from years gone by.  The stamps are an observatory, an airplane - technological advances of our lifetime.


To learn more about the beautiful Mistinguette: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mistinguett

Thank you, Herman, and sorry it's taken me a while to pen your letter.  It was certainly worth the wait, though!

No comments:

Post a Comment