Monday, January 16, 2023

COLLAGE OF LIFE with pressed flowers



If you have followed my mail art blog for a while, you will understand that Herman's mail art envelopes are Russian dolls. Each layer stands alone but together they are more than their singular selves. At the end of this blog you will find the external envelope that held the treasure.  The two pieces above are actualy a folder in which other beauties are contained.  This folder was sewn shut with thread and adorned with dried flowers. It is as though I opened a chest of a beloved's and found things they had kept safe and near their heart for a long time. The faces are worn with pathos, perhaps tired at the end of a long year, not yet ready to take on the New Year… or perhaps loved to death?


beau
These two (above) are the inside of the folder.  Herman has stamped his name in the fold.  If I had thought about that I should have scanned it as an opened page… Everything about this feels dated, authentic and composed with love, right down to Herman's stamp and the name, Hermanka etched into the plinth. I feel as if I am stepping back into time.  The sense of design belongs to an era and Herman's beautiful choice of paper makes the feel even more so.






Herman is a mail artist and an artist.  As happens when you correspond with someone for years, we share things about our non-mailart lives. I would like to see Herman's room and the waiting room!  Sigh, I will have to settle for images.


Herman is a correspondent and nothing he writes on is ho hum.  As a bonus, Herman adds another collage of a woman in the throes of movement which I read as sheer joy. This woman takes boundless energy into the new year!

I love everything about Herman's mailing. Happy New Year Herman!  And thank you!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment