Monday, January 25, 2021

Quasi una Fantasia - Herman Kamphuis

I'm not sure where my original postal ledger has been put for safe keeping… but I know that I have been trading with Voyageur Postal since at least 2012.  He is very sweet and sends me something special at the start of a new year. this mail has been sitting by my computer for about a week and Ionly just opened it before I scanned it. 

Each time I get mail from Herman , my first impression is that it feels European. Herman works with a particular palette that is like the tubes of paint or the pigments you'd find in a fine art dealer - no imitaion, no fluorescents, terra verte, red oxide, naples yellow.  a refined palette.

Another thing you might not be able to sense is that the papers are different weights, haptic, tactile, and perfectly glued. Herman selects imagery so that we are party to new conversations. He tells stories that never existed but suddenly do.

Herman's mail is like a safety deposit box (see below) full of precious personal items. Similar to a Russian doll, Herman nests imagery and layers it in an exquisite way.



Herman likes to compare and contrast beauty with more awkward motifs. I love his doodles.


I love the enhanced decay  of this piece. 

Herman's mail is like a good book, a beautiful song or a piece of sculpture that weathers beautifully.

 Thanks Herman, Happy New Year, and see you in the post.

No comments:

Post a Comment