Sunday, April 19, 2020

Remember when Weekends were for BBQs?

Peter, an Ipswich friend, accompanist, artist, former teacher colleague, sent me some mail art a couple of weeks ago. I didn't instantly know it was from him, but on close inspection it became clear.  


Juxtaposed, between (what Peter references as Hockney's 'Florals… for Spring… Groundbreaking', opened out to 13 inches, is an open-studio weekend with pizza, family and friends in our field.  You can also see Peter's gift as well as a loan.  Those were the days! I am a fan of this fan mail.

Since I blogged this, I have heard back from Peter with a little more info!

I hoped you might put 2 and 2 together when you saw the image of you all.
Such a happy time!
I hope you are all bearing up - no doubt there is plenty to do.It’s really nice to work at the piano - after 60 years I might have learnt how to practise properly slowly
If you fold what I sent you more like a concertina  VVVVVVVV  you see one image from one side and the other from the opposite direction.
It was inpiresd by Rana Begum
who also inspired the piece below.         ' Crescent '   acrylic on Ikea packaging January 2020
The Hockney is one of his new Normandy drawings - do you know about those?
The quotation is from the fictional  Miranda Priestly, EiC of Runway  (I think Figgy has grown out of thinkgs like that now|) -
when, at a planning meeting for the spring issue, one of her team said, ’They are showing a lot of florals this year,
she received the riposte, "Florals . . . for spring? . . . Groundbreaking.”

Another big thank you, Peter!






No comments:

Post a Comment