Thursday, April 23, 2020

Knee Studies and other Jokes


People always ask me how I find the mail artists I exchange with. As I recall, Herman found me.  I organised a mail art show and Herman contributed and he kept sending to me and I returned.  We have got to know each other over the years. I try to send some of my best mail art to Herman because, well, because I love getting his mail back and because it's a dialogue. The first few envelopes Herman sent me were 'unwrapped' and opening the postbox and looking in to see one of Herman's envelopes was a take you breath away moment. One got damaged and he began putting them in a simple white envelope and writing my name in his beautiful writing. I can always spot a Herman envelope.

Maybe I am particular in liking to 'understand' why the images are culled and to look for the story they tell. And at the same time, the markmaking, (or the collage mark making) is as important to the representational aspect, just like in a painting. The way the colour moves my eye across the envelope… it all goes into the pleasure of reading mail art, for me.

Herman has chosen delectable smiles for this envelope. I smile back. The hands are speaking too.  They are characters in themselves and saying funny things. And then the decoration.  It is audacious! I love it!
 The flip side makes me laugh too. I feel as if I am in French farce. 
 And the gags keep coming. All those uptight royals looking at the that tight ass.  Just gimme a little faux fur.  I love tiger print.
 nd then the poetry. 'Olleke, bolleke en knipperdolleke'.  My dutch is rusty but say those words aloud  They will make you smile.

And let's be honest.  There is nothing funnier than knees.


 And B is for Becky, a name I once took.  Orange is clearly the happiest colour of the rainbow. And a rose is a rose.


* Herman's house his 'very, very, very, very fine house in 1997.'
So going back to how I find these mail artists and why I keep them. Herman is an amazing correspondent but our houses are also similar.  Who knew?
One wall of our downstairs bathroom

The other wall of our downstairs bathroom

Herman, you have managed to make me smile, deeply, in the midst of 'this terrible crisis'.  Thank  you.






No comments:

Post a Comment