Saturday, May 23, 2020

Don't Mind me, I'm just a fan of Nancy Bell Scott!

Don't mind me,  VISPO, Asemic collage on book page, 13 x 20 cm
Nancy tells me she's back to making even though times have been tense. I am the lucky recipient of 'Dont Mind Me' a lyrical collage that is full of intrigue but in no way superficial. My eyes play tricks on me.  A kelly green 'o' makes me think she is writing about COVID.  Then it reminds me of the green of lead roofs and the flecks of gold feel like rain. Are we inside. The text goes up, down, back to front, It's like a walk on a winding road.  You think you might understand it but it is illusory, but not annoyingly illusory. I am curious.  I notice the remarkable quality of mark and the complexity of the writing. Words are not just pictorial, they are structural. We are surely on an architectural journey: Gaudi, Barcelona, a building, a castle. 

I can't help asking myself why I always think so literally? Nancy's piece is an abstract orchestration and all the elements strike the right note and coalesce to speak to me!


3-scrapper
I'm calling this one 'glare through the windows' because those words appear on the page and there is a beautiful sense of light in this 3-scrapper! 
3-scrapper b-side

3-scrapper
Nancy calls this one 'dark' , suggesting that life enters into art, even when you are trying to be loose.  I see it as STRONG not dark!  How can anything with peach pinking in from the bottom and a chink of pink light compelling me around the dark…. be dark?  To me it is hopeful.
3-scrapper B-side


You can't really tell that this piece has a very different surface.  The paper is handmade, the fibers are absorbent.  The surface is not smooth. It's amazing the way Nancy can exploit the surfaces to make different and equally beautiful marks. I feel twilight.

Nancy's trashpo stamps, wandering line and asemic stamping on that simple brown envelope is always exquisite and makes me smile! Thank you!

3 comments:

  1. Nancy's work is amazing. Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second those emoticons. A brilliant writer as well...here is her description of Trump's signature: An electrocuted swastika....perfect.

    ReplyDelete