Monday, August 23, 2021

Variations on a Passport

When I was at Uni, learning to paint, my professors wanted me to paint and draw like a kid.  They taught me to respond intuitively. That would result in the gold the standard, the authentic 'pure' stuff, they opined. Jon's mail art is not self conscious, but it is often about self, it is sure-footed and inate. His portraits remind me of photo booth mug shots.  Above and below are about the same size as a passport. Where are we going? (It's a beautiful collage, too).

What I have always noticed about Jon's mail art is that it is rooted in mail art.  It looks back and it plays forward.  His iconic tape transfers are Jon's unique selling point but his photocopies are always funny, unique and spot on.







Thanks Jon. Perhaps you will get something from me on Cranberry Island soon!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment