Saturday, April 2, 2022

Inside Those Walls


Nancy titles her bigger pieces. 'Inisde Those Walls'measures about 21 x 10 cm; the three-scrappers are smaller, 14, 11 cm tall.  I prop up Nancy's pieces for weeks.  Some live semi-permanently in my mail stand.  Sometimes they even make it into a painting.  I think Nancy's pieces are lovingly made.  They are pure joy - gifts when they arrive For ME. 

I want to read them but I also like the fact that it's not necessary to read them.  They are perfectly harmonious without being obvious.  They are challenging without being confrontational. 

I turn 'Inside Those Walls'  over, to take in the B-side and the words 'absurd conceit' hit me. The text seems to be about about an army. The title conjures up our shared Covid years, for me, too. 

I feel as if I have fund a relic, something pieced together, taped, because of its value.  It is worn, used, revered. 




This two scrap is as worked on the b-side as the main side.  The synesthesia of the visual poetry and the music are audible.


Above is folded.  inside is a note I have not shared.  Feb 02, 2022. I see two figures, dancing across a divide.  Inside walls, leaning in, breaking out, post Covid.

Nancy has filled the os and letters like holes with gold, like a tooth.  They sparkle, like lightening bugs in a hedge.




Such a delight to receive a brown envelope from Nancy. She manages to create the passage of time, a labour of love, a butterfly kiss everytime she sends me mail art. 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment