Monday, December 6, 2021

Always Fresh



I realised as I was scanning this stuff from Joel that I don't know about his practice… what I mean is I don't know if he sends lots of similar mailings in a whoosh or if every package of mail art is bespoke.  /What I really mean is did Joel make the same envelope for a series of mail art mailings or did he just make one of the envelopes I received? I am in love with this envelope! It's everyting about it. And the Grantwood motif is exquisite.


This mail art mailing arrived some time ago… I must get back to recording incoming dates. but, I am not a perfectionist.  I am not exact.  I am intuitive and rules, well rules. So very little interest in rules, but whenever this arrived, the fact that I opened it today was timely. I have been totally out-of-commission for weeks due to a local art exhibition I ran/hung with a community of artists. I made many paintings over lockdown.  I didn't make so much mail art.  I was experimenting with myself instead of exchanging with others. That's OK, but the writing included in this mailing expresses, exactly, how I feel about mail art and why it is valid, important and I will always participate in some fashion.














And this brilliant, Ray johnson collage decoder will be invaluable. Thank you for a perfect mailing, Joel. It had everything I needed today and I am inspired.
 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks once again for your thoughtful and thorough postings. To answer your question about the envelope, and my envelopes in general. This package you received is what I consider one of my "Big Mailings." I plan almost all of the printed pieces in advance. included the basic printing of the outer envelope. My run is usually 100 to 150. In this mailing the envelope was printed on my Epson Eco Printer, at home, and then rubber stamped and stickered. I often have a few envelopes left over which I will use for spontaneous mailings between big ones. The backyard farms card was designed by Adam Roussopoulos, who did the farmyard image, and then it was printed of a sophisticated digital press at my printing shop. The collage decoders were from flaps of boxes of tomatoes Iget at the Park Slope Food Coop modifies by hand.The miscellaneous items were hand stamped and varied from package to package. Of course the sticker and letter were printed.

    ReplyDelete