Friday, March 12, 2021

Celebrating Fly Cult and Operation Cornflakes

My new correspondent, James Gillen, suggested that Chuck Welch, Crackerjack Kid, would like some of my portraits for heroes stamps, so I sent Chuck mail art from my latest series. It was thrilling to get a quick reply and some beautiful Lunar New Year mail art!

I didn't know Amalgamated Confusion was a collaborator. nor do I know much about Chuck's process.  This is my first mail art from him, I think, but I am delighted to be corresponding.

I noticed the Trump stamp and the german words and wanted to know more.  This is what I learned!

Operation Cornflakes was a morale operation by the Office of Strategic Services during World War II that aimed to trick Deutsche Reichspost into inadvertently delivering anti-Nazi propaganda to German citizens through mail.[1]

The operation involved special planes that were instructed to airdrop bags of false, but properly addressed, mail in the vicinity of bombed mail trains. When recovering the mail during clean-up of the wreck, the postal service would hopefully confuse the false mail for the real thing and deliver it to the various addresses.[1]

You can read more here: Futsches Reich


Of course I will send more stamps and info.  Soon!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment