Sunday, May 26, 2019

WHO are we when we go to Paris?

One of the joys of mail art is that I get things from people that they labour over and that tell the story of their life.  Dave's latest Parisian sketchbook is one of those prized possessions. I wanted to blog it ages ago, when I was in Maine but I couldn't find the images I knew I'd put somewhere on my hard drive… When I got back I realised I had not scanned them, that I had photographed them and there they were. So huge apologies that it has taken me so long to document Dave's latest visit to Paris, the home of Satre, Camus, and other left bank intellectuals - at the heart of existentialism. It has nods to some of Paris' finest from Dali to Picasso via Simone de Beauvoir and Gertrude Stein.

On first glance I saw one face, but  Gestalt  there were two! Much like the pages of a book, one can never see more than one thing at once… Dave's sketchbook is like that.
Like Van Gogh's chair…. (how is it still standing)?  Even though Notre Dame is without its roof, can we see it as we used to?















No comments:

Post a Comment